Husky Head Coach Characteristics
As a matter of fact, the consensus for any head coaching position lists these key fundamental qualities:
- I: Ability to recruit the nation’s top talent to the program
- II: Basketball Acumen. Must possess a superior understanding of basketball, but must be
able to impress that knowledge, wisdom, and work ethic upon team’s players
- III: Mentor young athletes. Team building, discipline, motivation, high energy/
And so, that covers the basics. All the while, there could be an item or two added along the way, but for now that is a good framework. But this is as good a time as any to talk about the elephant in the room.
More from The Husky Haul
- Pro Husky Shaq Thompson out for season with leg injury
- Washington Huskies begin conference play against Cal in Week 4
- Jack Westover is a breakout star for the Washington Huskies
- Washington football: Negatives and Positives in win over Michigan State
- Huskies offense slices through the Spartans in 41-7 win
Gender Bias Gets National Headlines
Right now, NCAA Women’s basketball is ablaze over recent comments made by University of Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma. In a March 30, 2017 press conference covered by the Associated Press, Aruiemma made a very controversial statement:
"“There’s a reason why there’s not as many opportunities for women. Not as many women want to coach. It’s not like people are consciously depriving women of opportunities.”- UConn head coach Geno Auriemma"
That comment generated the expected negative responses from activists, but the answer to resolving the matter is not as clear cut as one might expect. The University of Washington can help in the matter by amplifying the search for female candidates. Thankfully, the PAC-12 conference has drastically outpaced the nation regarding this issue, with just two of the current coaching positions held by men.